Thursday, March 6, 2014

Assignment 1- "What's Your Square?" [Part 1]

So, "What's Your Square?" was our first assignment for this semester and this class. Ms. Lisa asked us to cut paper in square shape with sides of 4.5 inches and cut out our design inside. This was slightly different from what we had done during previous semester. We have to use the limited square size and create a pattern or design which able to expand out. One should be symmetrical and the other one was asymmetrical. We were given some time to think about it by doing a mind map(as usual). So this was my mind map.


Later on, after doing the mind map, we came out with several sketches that we like. Basically, the first one was a combination of animal with polynesian tattoo style. The other with a butterfly was also in one of my theme, garden. It will be different design of butterfly with different types of flower shapes. The bottom left was actually a mask. I thought of it that it can have many design for mask like china's traditional speed-mask changing, carnival mask, halloween mask and so on. Unfortunately, my classmate got the same ideas as I so I had to give up on it. The bottom right also done by one of my friend too. It is an anime character,Chopper.

When we found out that we're having same ideas, the situation was like this..


These was a rough sketch that I get the ideas on the last minute. There's house, playing kite, carnival and a perspective view of town.


I showed my sketch to my lecturer, Ms. Lisa, and she chose the combination of the animal with the polymesian tattoo which is in animal theme and the other one is garden theme with butterflies and flowers. So I had to work out on these two theme by adding more details on it and present it again by next week to finalize the only one theme. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment